Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How do you balance craft and "real life"?

I have made a commitment to myself to write every evening, no matter what, and I've stuck to it so far in October. I've also flexed my submission wings more in the past weeks than I had for a season, and I feel good.

The flip side of this is the fact that I feel as if my writing is taking over my waking life.

I worry about taking enough time to spend with my husband at the end of each day, not just for his ego but for the joy I get from hours spent talking with him. Although he reminds me often that I am a writer and that he is happy when I write, I worry that my writing has supplanted all the other important things in my life.

How do you strike a balance between the worlds you create with your words and the world your physically inhabit? Does anyone have any tricks for keeping things in the proper perspective?

I have realized by this point in my life that balance is the lesson I have been sent here to learn, but every time I think I have it figured out, something else seems to stick out oddly, like a grapevine that just won't take the shape of the wreath.

No comments:

Post a Comment