Saturday, October 9, 2010

Self-publishing or vanity press?

I am starting to seriously consider self-publishing a poetry and prose collection of mine that is very, very niche. However, as I stand on the brink of the self publishing divide, a little voice in the back of my head whispers, "you are only considering this because you aren't good enough to get published by anyone else."

Here's what I have to say to you, little annoying voice:
First, that's ridiculous. Three of my poems have been published, and I have had favorable responses on my fiction recently. Second of all, I am considering this because I have not found the right publisher for this material. Third, I believe the book I want to self-publish will sell and will delight at least one other person on this earth who is not related to me. (I just hope this person will hear about my book!)

It's so hard to silence the inner voice of doubt, but I am planning to begin moving forward on this project. Any advice for self publishing? I don't want to go through a service like Lulu, but I plan on doing the layout myself and finding a local printer willing to do a small run. I have ideas about marketing, but I'd love to hear your experiences!

Another question for you, dear readers: what about EBooks? Would that be viable for a poetry/prose collection, or just overkill?

1 comment:

  1. Like many of my early writing ambitions, I dropped this one after receiving some valuable guidance from the editor of a small press. Now's not the right time, and I agree with her wisdom. The poetry book may be a long ways off, but my poems are slowly seeping into the world. And that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete