Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Something dark, something light

I picked up Jay Asher's "Thirteen Reasons Why" at the library based on the rave reviews I'd heard. It was a really hard book to read as a former teacher, leaving the lingering question of "how have I altered someone's life for the worse?" This book was powerful and painful, and ends with a faint glimmering of hope. Read it all at once, if you can, because dragging it out would be overwhelming.

On a lighter note, I found a used copy of one of the "Once Upon a Time" books I actually hadn't read yet: "The Crimson Thread" by Suzanne Weyn. I love this series, which reimagines fairy tales in sweet, tidy, romantic packages. This new version of Rumpelstiltskin was delightful, if not quite as powerful as Bunce's "A Curse Dark as Gold".

I've got a stack of library books to take on our vacation, so look for more reviews in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment