Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The times, they are a changing...

The year is racing to a close, and lots of things seem to be shifting in my little corner of the world.

NaNoWriMo officially ends tonight at midnight, and I'm close to completing the novel that I began this month: I'm at 56k right now, and I think the story is winding down. I aim for 60-65 at first, because evidently I write backwards: for as much as I slash on my revisions, I tend to add, too. Then I'll put the book away, not to be opened until December 25th at the earliest (no, it's not a Christmas present, it's part of my holiday travel reading). I'm excited to see where the story is taking me, and it's a strange thought to realize I will be setting it down at all, let alone for most of a month.

Then there's my day job. I'm nearing the end of my first semester teaching community college, and it's strange to realize that I won't see these students again. It's probably a good thing semesters are short, because I am reaching the point with some of my students where I am starting to wish we were friends, and I know better. Boy, do I know better!

I'll be teaching again next semester, and I got the word today that I'll be adding an online course for the university that I TA for: I'll still be TAing, but I'll also be teaching in 2012. This is a major shift, and one that I've been waiting for for a very long time.

And then there's the novel. It's out there in agent land, where I've been devotedly querying for the past two months. Hopefully, I will hear good news on that front soon.

All this change has prompted me to look back with a truly thankful heart. Things have fallen into place for me better than I could have imagined, and I know that I am very lucky. So, with that in mind, what changes (large or small) are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment