Alright, folks, let's shake things up this cold Monday morning! I've decided to host a giveaway this month, in honor of Valentine's Day (blech), Leap Day, and my birthday (woohoo!).
I've got three eclectic books up for grabs:
1. The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age by Frances Yates: I bought this for research for a novel, and then shifted to modern magical systems rather than historical. It would be a great reference book for any historical fantasy author!
2. The Voyage Out by Virginia Wolf: a coming-of-age novel told by one of the best feminist writers of the past century.
3. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe: this excellent novel blends history, mystery, and magic, with just a pinch of romance thrown in to sweeten the deal.
Giveaway options 4 and 5 are writing-related:
4. I'll critique your first five pages of a WIP via email, offering as much as I can to the process.
5. I'll critique your query letter.
How to enter:
It's simple! In the comments section of this post, post your favorite opening line of a book. Tell us which book it's from, as well as the author, and if you have a preference for one of the prizes, mention that in the post as well.
This giveaway is open until February 29th at 11:59 pm. Check back on Thursday, March 1 for the list of winners!
Let the games begin!
*So tempted to say something about the odds, but, well, that's copyright infringement ;)