Monday, April 30, 2012

A-Z Challenge: Z is for Zombie Lit

Z is for Zombie Lit

Now, I have to be honest: zombie lit isn't really up my alley.  BUT I've read three zombie tales recently that were a lot of fun (even if I did have to skim some of the descriptive moments):


Pride and Prejudice and Zombies:
Seth Grahame-Smith's mashup of Jane Austen and zombies is hilarious.  I love that the Bennett girls are ninja zombie killers.  Pick this one up if you want a laugh.  The perks: I actually had this recommended to me by a male coworker who would have never in a million years looked twice at Jane Austen.  Zombies make the classics readable for a wider audience!

The Forest of Hands and Teeth:
I'd heard so much buzz about this book that I finally decided to see what it was about.  (Plus, the wonderful Carrie Ryan is a member of my SCBWI chapter: she's practically my neighbor, which is so cool.)  I loved it!  The zombie's are truly creepy, and the intricacies of Mary's world swept me away.  There weren't even any parts that I had to skip over: Ryan crafts a zombie novel with finesse and not a lot of gore.

Ashes:
I blogged about Ilsa J. Blick's novel earlier this month, but I'll say it again: this is a zombie novel without zombies.  Lots of places where I had to close my eyes, but the ick factor doesn't detract from this excellent story.

I can't believe the month is over!  This has been an excellent blogging experience: I've met so many new people, and I had a ball thinking of an alphabet's worth of topics.  Check out the last posts today, and I hope to see you on the blog again!


What are some other zombie titles that you've read?  Any you would recommend?

4 comments:

  1. How can you say Ashes was without zombies? They were totally zombies - I finished it yesterday. Devoured it, brain by brain. Someone just recommended the The REapers are the Angels to me. I ordered it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I mean that is was zombie-less in the typical "undead" sense: but you're right, it's totally a zombie novel! Let me know about Reapers and Angels.

      Delete
  2. I'm a complete zombie fan so a friend gifted Pride and Prejudice Zombies for a birthday, it was fun! The graphic novel lover in me is addicted to Robert Kirkman's Walking Dead. My brains are rolling out over this series. His zombies were my inspiration for the 'Z' post.

    I've enjoyed your blog, some of your ideas, I'm not quite really for in my writing life and that is why this place is an inspiration for me. If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have definitely guessed that you were a teacher at some point.

    Congrats on completing the challenge! Hope to stay connected. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I've loved reading your blog, as well. Your poetry is beautiful.

      Happy May eve!

      Delete