Wednesday, May 9, 2012

100 Books in 2012: Book 41 "The Serpent's Shadow"

I've been a big fan of Rick Riordan ever since discovering "The Lightning Thief" when I was teaching middle school.  While I haven't enjoyed the Kane Chronicles as much as some of his other books, I still couldn't wait to get my hands on book three in that series.

Sadie and Carter are facing doomsday: Apophosos, the chaos serpent, has all but escaped, magicians are dying and turning on each other, and the sun god, Ra, that they rescued is still a senile, babbling old man.

Never fear!  With a bit of luck, some improvisation, and help from the gods, the Kane siblings are poised to save the world or go down trying.

I love Riordan's characterization of the Egyptian gods, and although there wasn't much in this story that surprised me, I still enjoyed the humor and action that have become his trademarks.  I'm a bit annoyed at some of the series overlap that seems to be happening, and I predict that the Romans will soon try to invade Egypt: that's the only way, right?

Fans of the series will love this, folks who've read his other work will probably enjoy it, and overall, I was pleased.

What are you reading this week?  Make sure you wander over to the other 100 Books participants and see what they're up to.

Speaking of Egypt, I wanted to direct your attention to the Google homepage today: it's Howard Carter's 138th birthday!  Long live the memory of one of my childhood heroes. 



Howard Carter's excavation house, across the hill from the Valley of the Kings in Luxor, Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment