Thursday, May 31, 2012

100 Books in 2012: Book 47 "Insurgent"



 Veronica Roth crafts a a despicable distopian society in "Divergent", and she follows it beautifully with "Insurgent".

Tris has stopped the Erudite/Dauntless massacre of her former faction, but that doesn't mean she feels like a hero.  Instead, Tris is plagued with thoughts of her own crimes and failings, including her first kill and the deaths of her parents.  Despite her broken heart and fragile mind, she can't sit back and heal: the factions are locked in combat, and she and Tobias (Four) find themselves at the center of a complicated plan to overthrow the Erudites once and for all.  But will another massacre solve anything?  Tris doubts it, so she forms an uncomfortable alliance with Tobias's father: Marcus beat his son so severely that Tobias transferred factions to get away from his influence, and Tris doesn't think he would understand her strange alliance.  The information that Marcus claims would change the world might also destroy Tris and Tobias, but that's a risk she's willing to take.

Fans of "The Hunger Games" trilogy and the "Matched" series will devour this book.  Start with "Divergent": this is not a series of stand-alones.

I stayed up late last night to finish (partly because I felt guilty for depriving some teen of the copy at the library, but mostly because I couldn't walk away until I had some answers).  What's the last book you wanted to read under the sheets with a flashlight like a sneaky child?

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a giant plot. I haven't read much modern YA but my oldest has been asking me about "The Hunger Games"(his friends are reading it). How mature is Veronica Roth?

    I read Clive Barker(flashlight and sheets) because his blood is so thick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archna, I believe she is a late twenties-early thirties author. She really captures the YA voice in the midst of some very detailed world building. You should check out this series and let me know what you think!

      Haven't read Clive Barker: thrillers, yes?

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I loved the first one, can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOO good! Once again, I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete