Tuesday, September 11, 2012

100 Books in 2012: Book 78 "Red is for Remembrance"

When I used to work at Barnes and Noble, I was drawn to this series by Laurie Stolarz.  I kept meaning to read it, but somewhere in between work and school, that never happened.  I finally picked this one up, and I wish I'd read it sooner!  Again, I started at the backwards end of a series (woops), but it was easy to get into the world, and I loved it.

Stacey is in mourning.  She delayed her college admittance by a semester, but she still isn't over the death of her first love Jacob.  To make matters worse, his body was never found, so Stacy clings to the fragile hope that he is still alive somewhere.  But eventually, she'll have to move on, and when she meets with the college president, she learns why she's really there.

Her scholarship is a sham: the president has a young daughter who sees things.  Her dreams and visions upset her, but the president has heard about Stacey, and knows that she's in a similar boat.  He wants her to help Porsha, his daughter, deal with her own budding telepathy.  But Porsha and Stacey may have more in common than he realizes, and together the girls work to prevent a murder from happening.  Their quest for justice will lead them far from the campus, to a cult-esque commune in the woods.

I loved everything about this story.  It's well-paced, the characters are resonate, and Stacey presents a thoughtful portrayal of a Wiccan protagonist that's hard to find.  All in all, this is an excellent read, and I have no doubt the rest of the series would be just as captivating.

What book did you finally read after meaning to for a long time?  Were you surprised?

No comments:

Post a Comment