Thursday, April 22, 2010

Inspirational Reading

I've been reading "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin, and it's really inspiring me to assess my own life.

The basic premise of the book is this: an urban wife/mother/writer sets monthly resolutions which will help her to live a happier life. She starts small and builds on the resolutions monthly over the course of a year. To do this, Rubin first had to identify the things that she felt would increase her happiness, then set resolutions accordingly.

What, you may wonder, does this have to do with this writer's blog?

Well, since writing makes me happy, it will be one of the resolutions for my own mini happiness project.

I am still in the thoughtful stages at this point, but things I know I want to include are: writing daily, reading weekly, nagging my husband less, decluttering and staying decluttered, strengthening old relationships, building new ones, and increasing my daily spiritual practice.

I notice I am happier when I read for fun and write daily, and this week both of these activities have gotten away from me. I just put a casserole in the oven, so I have some time right now. Instead of playing around on facebook, I will use this time to write.

I also need to accept the fact that any writing is still writing. I tend to devalue my journaling since I am not working on any of my creative writing, but journaling helps me to center at the end of a day. Perhaps I can strive to both journal and write fictionally on a daily basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment