Sunday, August 22, 2010

Excited!

I finalized my registration for the South Carolina Writers Workshop Conference in October...can't wait! I am taking full advantage of the amazing offerings, and have signed up for a pitch session (for one of my YAs), a query session (for my historical adult), and a manuscript critique (also for my historical adult).

It's really intimidating. I've never done anything like this before, and as I was trying to explain to my husband during our walk tonight, pitching in person is much more frightening than sending out poetry and getting back rejection letters. First, it's IN PERSON. Second, it's my fiction, which I have invested much more time and self in than my poetry. And there's just something frighteningly real about sitting there at dinner with agents and editors and published authors.

Up till now, the only writing conferences that I have attended have been more geared at perfecting craft, not the world of publishing.

What does one wear to something like this? I want to make the right impression, but a suit seems...a bit much. Anyone have any wisdom on this topic?

3 comments:

  1. Have a blast at your conference. I am always a believer in business casual - so that from that what you will! GOOD LUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! I want to come to SCWW so bad, but I don't think the $$ is going to be arriving quick enough.

    Enjoy it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think conferences are great in that you are treating your goal of publication in a professional way. Best of luck for your pitch session, and remember that most agents are pretty forgiving one on one!

    ReplyDelete