Friday, March 18, 2011

Hooray for books!

I've been a busy reading bee lately, finishing two books for fun and one book for my March VOYA review. I've got a stack sitting next to me of books that are begging to be read, but I think I'll take the night off and write instead.

"The Queen of Last Hopes" by Susan Higginbotham was a long historical novel. Overall, I enjoyed it, but I wasn't a fan of the few narrative voice changes which hurt the flow of the narrative: I wouldn't call this a multi-narrator story, but there were a handful of moments where other characters took over for a chapter or two. I've read a lot of Tudor novels, so reading this novel about the War of the Roses was something different.

I confess, I subscribe to O magazine, and this month I actually read one of the recommended books. "The Tiger's Wife" by Tea Obreht is the most unique book I've read in some time. Folk tale meets coming of age in this beautifully woven story. Be prepared for some intense emotions.

Since VOYA sometimes sends pre-publication copies for review, I had the thrill of reading something that isn't in print yet this month. "The A Circuit" by Catherine Hapka and Georgina Bloomberg deals with teens in an elite horseback riding circle: think "Gossip Girl" meets "Saddle Club". I read this one twice to get a better feel before reviewing it, and I think it has some appeal.

I'm working my way through a couple other YA titles at work, and I've got some new age fiction waiting here at home. Once my eyes recover, I'll be back at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment