Friday, May 13, 2011

Huzzah for Victorian books!

Since one of my YA novels is set at the turn of the twentieth century, I really enjoy reading other books that deal with this era. In the past week, I've had the chance to read two books of this type.

I plowed through "Wildthorn" by Jane Eagland on the flight out to Portland last weekend. It was wonderful! The book comes from the Rainbow Booklist and deals elegantly with sexuality in a historical context: the desire of the protagonist for a relationship she can have in the open is poignant for modern readers. Louisa is locked up in an asylum, and the reasons behind her incarceration are chilling. I loved the way the plot of this book was layered, and I didn't see a lot of it coming.

In my quest to catch up on Newberry award and honor books, I read "The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate" by Jacqueline Kelly this afternoon. Calpurnia is a spunky character, and the relationship that develops between her and her grandfather is charming. I really enjoyed reading this novel, even though it left me with that sickening sensation that I'll never write anything this delightful.

Anyone have any good books to suggest for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment