Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bittersweet Chocolate

On Thursday, I will spend my last day in the foreseeable future as a middle school teacher. I've spent the past four months anticipating this day, but now that I'm standing on the edge of it, the impact of this life change has smacked me in the face.

I've spent one third of my life, and the entirety of my adult life, preparing to teach and teaching. My BA, the years of subbing during college, the internship, and then my first classroom (not to mention the three years and two schools that followed) have all been integral parts of my existence over the past eight years.

I'm thrilled to be shifting my focus to my writing, and I am already signed up to sub a few times in the fall, so I know I won't be away from middle school energy entirely, but this is a really momentous change. I haven't been faced with the reinvention of my identity in a long time.

Despite the challenges as a teacher, I hope my kids know what they've meant to me.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your summer. Good luck with the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choosing to pursue writing full time was a big deal for me too. Sometimes I miss not working and the identity that came with it (esp when trying to explain to others that I'm a writer). But otherwise I haven't looked back. Best of luck and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete