Monday, June 20, 2011

Plotting a Sequel

I've been working on the second book in my planned YA modern fantasy trilogy, and I've felt like I've been spinning my wheels. I have a vague idea of where the story is going, but after 16k, I'm still a bit in the dark.

What to do when the protagonist can't get the help she expected? Add a sassy sister to the unhelpful boy, and explore a whole new form of magic. I'm enjoying this new character, and hopefully she'll help get the plot back on track. If nothing else, she's diverting me for now!

I really hope that when I sit down to edit this series sometime in the summer that everything actually comes together more or less cohesively! I've heard back from a few readers on the first draft of the first book, and the response seems mostly favorable. And in less than two weeks, I will have the time to really devote to polishing that manuscript in preparation for SCWWC in October.

My goal before the conference? A good second draft of the first novel, and at least a rough first draft and outline of the second two books. We'll see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment