Sunday, July 3, 2011

Summer Reading

The two books I just finished are oddly linked to travel: one deals with a country I just visited, the other with a country I'm heading to at the end of the year. Guess I'm in a gypsying mindset right now!


"The Lost Tomb" By Dr. Kent Weeks tells the tale of the rediscovery of KV5, a mysterious and unprecedented tomb in the Valley of the Kings in Thebes, Egypt. I had the good fortune to meet with Dr. Weeks while we were in Egypt last winter, and it was fascinating to read his book: he has worked extensively in Egypt since the 1960s, and the book focuses on much more than KV 5. If you have any Indiana Jones aspirations, this is a well-written read that can be enjoyed without an archaeological dictionary.


Watching the sun set from Dr. Weeks' boat, 2010

The next title is one that I've read before, but returning to it was like meeting an old friend on the street. "The Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorites by this brilliant author. Set in Mexico and America following the first World War and running through the Red Scare, this rich novel explores culture, freedom, and art. I love the description of artist Frida Kahlo: the narrator constantly refers to her as "The Little Queen".

I haven't decided what to read next: any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment