Sunday, December 11, 2011

Book Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

In September, I had the good fortune to meet author Beth Revis at the Carolina's SCBWI conference. She was delightful, and I picked up a copy of her debut novel, "Across the Universe".

I finally got around to reading the book, and I'm so glad I did. Set on a ship in space three hundred or so years in the future, this novel alternates narrators between Amy, a girl who was cryongenically frozen with her parents, and Elder, the next supervisor of the ship. When Amy is un-thawed ahead of schedule, she struggles to find acceptance on the ship Godspeed. Elder is enamored with her, but some of their differences seem insurmountable. Part mystery, part love story, and all sci fi, this is a great read even for reluctant sci fi readers like myself. Amy and Elder are relatable characters, and the story takes a few unexpected twists and turns along the way.

The sequel is due out in January, and I can't wait to see Beth at a future conference so I can congratulate her again in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment