Thursday, November 4, 2010

No no NaNo

Don't let the subject fool you, I did write today, bringing my total over 10,000. I'm feeling a bit of hatred towards my NaNo novel right now, though, so I want to blog about some of my general angst today.

For the first time in my writing life, I find myself disgusted with my work and laboring over the task of putting words on a page. I am blaming this on the let down I am still feeling after the SCWW Conference in October.

I had a really wonderful critique session with an agent which resulted in her requesting the full manuscript of "Issobell Key". This is great news, right? Well. I thought so. But it's been over a week since she emailed me to say she had received the manuscript, and in that time I've heard...crickets. I know it was probably too much to hope for that she would stay up all night reading it and fed ex me a contract on the spot, but I'll admit, those fantasies did play out in my mind for the first few days.

I write because I love it, and I write because I need to to stay sane. I don't want to lose sight of that in my quest for publication. I need a little perspective, and maybe I'll take the rest of the afternoon off as a writer. My mom is coming to visit, and I'm sure we can fill the time with non literary pursuits.

And maybe I just need a good nights' sleep, too. The house seems determined to give me nightmares, waiting until I am on the verge of sleep before creaking and moaning in awful ways. I haven't really slept well since...well, since I got back from the conference, actually.

I'm whiny. It's raining. It's allowed.

1 comment:

  1. It IS allowed! You deserve the time off! It sounds like that might be exactly what you need! Enjoy the weekend with your mom, TRY not to think about the other MS and start again fresh in another day or two.

    I'm crossing my fingers that you will hear good news soon. It is FANTASTIC news that she wanted the whole MS. A week isn't SO long (to her). (I realize it feels like an eternity to you but hang in there!)

    How long is your mom staying?

    ReplyDelete