Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Practice Random Acts of Writing

I had a bizarre idea last night while I was trying to fall asleep, and I think it's too good to keep to myself.

Do you ever get really excited to find a bookmark or postcard or image tucked in a book you are reading, left by a previous reader? I do, and I am constantly wishing I'll find something which will spark a story or a poem. You know, like a love letter or the like.

And that's where my idea for Random Acts of Writing came from.

Here's the challenge: every time you borrow a book from the library or a friend, leave a small piece of paper tucked in the pages. On that paper, write a sentence or phrase, something that you think is beautiful. Don't use a sticky note: we don't want to damage the book, just leave an impermanent piece of ourselves there to be found by the next reader.

Perhaps, when someone else finds your words, they will be inspired.

2 comments:

  1. I love this -- especially in an age when the printed word is being subsumed by electronic readers of all stripes. Kindles cannot replicate a book's history and the lives it passed through.

    ReplyDelete