Friday, September 16, 2011

Transporting YA

So, as promised, a few more YA book reviews.

I tend to read my way through the Best Books for Teens list published by YALSA each year, and I've yet to be disappointed.

For anyone who likes beautiful, simple fantasy, is an ideal read. Although it is a sequel to "Green Angel", which I have not read, it is satisfying and complete on its own. Green is living with the loss of her family and the near destruction of her civilization, and she copes by recording the stories of the survivors. When she goes in search of a witch who can grant her heart's desire, she learns startling things about her own magic.

Next was , a distopian novel that reminded me of Atwood's classic "Handmaid's Tale" while at the same time feeling fresh and unique. Gaia, a midwife, must decide whom to trust: her mother or the society that she owes allegiance to.

Another excellent YA distopian novel that I tore through recently is "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. On the recommendation of another bibliophile, I requested this from the library and am so glad I did. Tris lives in a world where five character traits govern everything: abnegation, dauntless, amity, candor, and erudite are the factions which rule The City. I couldn't put this one down!

So, despite the stack waiting on the coffee table for me, do you have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment