Monday, January 30, 2012

100 Books in 2012: Book 10 "A Broom of One's Own"



A few years ago, a friend told me about Nancy Peacock's prompt writing class. Once a month, in Chapel Hill, she offers a free two hour prompt writing class. I went a lot when we lived just up the road, but since moving, I hadn't gone in almost two years. This month, I went back and a) remembered why I love the class, and b) finally purchased a copy of Nancy's writing memoir.

After successfully publishing two novels, Peacock discovered some of the myths she had believed about writing. She thought she would be willing and able to give up her work as a housekeeper, but found that neither the money from her books nor the copious amounts of time to just sit and write worked for her creative process. I can relate: I quit teaching full-time last year so I could focus on my writing, and I swear the days I get nothing done are the days when I have all the time in the world to work. "A Broom of One's Own" tells Peacock's own story with humor, clear observations, and an enjoyable conversational style.

If you enjoy writing memoirs like "Bird by Bird" or "On Writing", this book is a necessary addition to your reading list.

January is almost over! What have you been reading this year? You can still sign up for the 100 book challenge here!

No comments:

Post a Comment